Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Do I write science fiction?

I didn't think so, but then I had this dream that was a great plot so I'm going to attempt it. It will end up being a juvenile fiction trilogy. No title yet, but it is based on the consept of shifting between alternate realities to escape an oppressive government. Here is a taste:


“You have to get out of here.” Mr. Tyler whispered as the last of the swim team students were shuffling out the door.
“What do you mean? Don’t I have extra practice today?”
“That’s not what I’m taking about.”
My suspicions about this whole school had been building for weeks.
“It’s not just the school..” he read my mind, pausing as another student came out of the locker room and went outside. His eyes lingered on the door, ”It’s everywhere.”
HE paused again, allowing me to process what he had said. I peered at my swimming coach trying to understand his logic. Sandy blond, blue eyed, young enough to expect a crush or two from his teenage students. Me included. Finally he looks straight into my eyes.
“ Miss Pawlak.” Closer still,” Halina, you can’t be here anymore. You’ve compromised your standing, you have to leave.” The close proximity to my coach would usually elicit an intense fluttery feeling under my sternum, but this did not seem to be the time for a crush rush.
“Listen, I know I’ve missed and couple kerfews and practices, but I think kicking me out is unjustified and unfair...”
“I’m not expelling you.” He interrupted. Silence again. Was I supposed to be reading into this? Surely he didn’t know about what my friends and I had really been up to. Or did he?

dandandaaaa.... I'll post some more if I think it's good enough.

No comments: