Friday, November 19, 2010

Response to CBC

CBC RadioOne recently had an arguement against the purpose of National Novel Writing Month. I thought you might want the perspective from an author who is participating in NANoWriMo.  This is  the first year I am participating and it will be the first novel that I have completed.  If it wasn't for NaNoWriMo it would have taken me another year to finnish.  I have taken this goal very seriously.  In preparation I have read over 100 books, and done multiple plot outlines.  When I am finnished I expect it will take me a year to complete the editing process.  It is very clear to me that a book written in such haste will need tonnes of revamping and polishing before it is submitted.  the NaNo program has been nothing but a good influence to me.
In response to the problem of too many writters and not enough readers, You said that 86% of people say they would like to write a novel while only a mear 60% of people have actually read a novel in the last year.  I think that survey was a bit tainted.  You can't include the 86 % of people who INTEND on writing if you don't also include people who INTEND on reading a book.  I'm sure that number would be around 99%.   If an author writes, but doesn't read then they most likely aren't going to get published.  If I can read 100 books to every one that I write, I can't see how the supply is not meeting the demand.  Maybe we could start a National Novel Reading Month for those of you who have never tried it.
You said writing is a waste of time because 30 days of writing could only produce crap.  I could be wasting my time, it's true, but I feel amazed and proud of my great accomplishment.  Is that how you feel when you waste your time?
yours truely, keep an eye out for my debut novel, Halli Lilburn

1 comment:

Domey Malasarn said...

I tried Nano last year but didn't finish my book (It would have been my second). Still, I'm interesting in the process and the writers who do decide to do it. Thanks for putting up your thoughts! I think the fact that you prepared so much ahead of time if great.