Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Reveiw: The Keepsake

Of all of the library donations I have been going through, this one sparked my interest the most.  The Keepsake refers to the dead bodies the Archeology Killer preserves in historically accurate ways in order to keep them "close" to him.  The author's medical background helps with the descriptions on how the killer turns his victims into a mummy, a shrunken head, and a bog-man. (I always wondered how they did it).  It's a cool idea, but I don't think he could pull it off with such accuracy that he would fool an entire museum and all of its archeological staff members.  The book spends alot of time swaying between two suspects, making the concluding revelation unsurprising. 
I do enjoy the cover - comparing pinned butterflies to a murder victim is fantastic, although the book has nothing in it about pinned butterflies.  My favorite part was learning how to make a shrunken head. (not that I would ever get the chance...)

2 comments:

Erin MacPherson said...

I love the cover... it looks great...thanks for the review!

Lindsey Carmichael said...

If I'd found Tess Gerritsen in high school, I wouldn't have spent so much time reading Robin Cook. Her writing is a lot more polished than his, with all the same cool science. Haven't gotten to this one yet, though!