Monday, February 14, 2011

Book Review: Digital Fortress


Time to go to hockey practice.  After I lace up skates I usually sit in the stands and, interspersed with proud hockey-mom cheers, I read a book.  I am embarrassed enough to admit to my literary friends that I'm reading Dan Brown, but am I really ashamed to be seen with a Dan Brown book at hockey practice?  I seriously debated leaving the book at home.  When the Davinci Code swept the earth with its shocking and scandalous Jesus conspiracy I gobbled it up like cheesecake.  Brown has his bases covered when it comes to analytical research.  So what if his writing style is simple and plot driven.  Most readers will skip the poetry and take adventure any day.  I felt the same way about Angels & Demons and Deception Point.  They were impossible, but still believable.  Lost Symbol didn't hook me as much as the others, but the intensity was still there.  Digital Fortress is an earlier book; not his best and outdated.  I still finished it.
So why do I keep reading this stuff?  My intellectual gears might be grinding to a halt, but I am thoroughly entertained!  I can't help it!  However civilized I may claim to be, I can't hide my addiction to adrenaline.  So mock me if you want.  Say I've jumped on the mindless entertainment bandwagon.  I admit it man!  There is a reason why adventure sells and poetry doesn't.  Don't mock Brown for exploiting the niche.
At least I didn't show up to hockey practice with my favourite copy of Twilight!

3 comments:

gypsy said...

I have trouble making it through a book that's not well written. I try and try to get through Jodi Piccoult, for the plot alone, but it's so difficult. I like the idea that you know that your read Brown's books for the story and the story alone. Enjoy!

Lindsey Carmichael said...

You should try Preston and Child's Pendergast series - I always tell bookstore customers that they're a cross between Dan Brown and Michael Crighton, but with legitimately good writing.

Granted, the writing in book 1, Relic, and book 2, Reliquary, is not as good as in the rest of the series, but by the time you get to book 3, Cabinet of Curiosities, you'll be totally addicted.

m. christine weber said...

This made me smile :-). "There is a reason why adventure sells and poetry doesn't." Nice :-). So true!