Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz


Hannah Moskowitz is my hero.  She published her first book at nineteen, she can write a novel in a month (thanks to NaNoWriMo), she gives amazing writing advice on her blog, she personally responds to my e-mails, and she told me I rock.  What more can I ask for in a hero?  Oh yah, and she’s gorgeous.
So.  Her new book:  Two brothers turn their summer vacations at the beach house into a twisted version of Camus philosophy. The male protagonist carries the weight of his loss of innocence and it is too heavy for him.  He is week, vulnerable, and very dependent on some very unreliable family members.
 I don’t want o explain the book, you’ll just have to read it.
I’ll say this: It is similar to Hannah’s first novel “Break”, and that isn’t a bad thing.  Her writing style is character driven, internal, raw and realistic.  She creates worlds that I helplessly sink into with no escape.  In fact, I am left speechless.
I took a lot away from this book: everyone has faults, everyone should love their family no matter what faults they have, and everyone should try their hardest to help, because not helping is the worst fault of all.
I don’t know what else to say.
Check out an interview with Hannah here.

4 comments:

Ellen Lynn said...

Thank you for not overly explaining the book. I prefer the tantalizing discussion of how Hannah develops character driven plot. I'm sure I'll like her book because I enjoy escaping the perfection of romance for a good dose of drama.

I'm a NaNo writer and thrilled to check out Hannah's blog, thanks to you!

Cheers,
Ellen
http://mymotherstuttered.blogspot.com/

phyllis sweetwater said...

Any time! We are all here to support each other. Hannah doesn't dive blindly into a mushy, made-up love. I like to call her version anti-romance.

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Such a great book. I was enthralled. I was so taken by the voice.

Rachael Harrie said...

Sounds like an intriguing read, will have to check it out :)

Hugs,

Rach