Monday, June 13, 2011

Gardening time

Now that I have my garden to grow, I wonder if it is a distraciton form writing, or a well needed break.  I can't tell, because I love gardening so much I could weed for 14 hours straight, but I haven't touched my manuscript in three weeks.  I rationalize and say I am giving myself a "cooling" period, so I can have fresh eyes.  Gardening sure distracts me.  It frees my mind from all of the brooding over characters and plot lines.  Every writer should have a second passion.  Or a third or fourth.  I love scrapbooking and singing too.  BUT gardening has a time limit, especially in Canada where the growing season is only 2 months.  So I figure, to make up for lost time, I will dedicate 2 months in the winter to writing.  November, for NaNoWriMo, and January, because it isn't Christmas.  This satisfies my dilema.  SO, what are your "distractions"? and how do you justify them?

3 comments:

elisabeth said...

following blogs is a distraction! and I justify it because of ones like yours that let me know what my friend is up to.

JaneA said...

This may sound silly, but I think reading is my distraction from writing. It's such a beguiling past-time, and I can tell myself it's "research", but really, it's procrastination. ;-)

phyllis sweetwater said...

JaneA - you don;t need to fool yourself. It IS research! elisabeth, you are justified. especially if you're reading my blog.