Monday, September 12, 2011

Book Review: Now is the Time for Running by Michael Williams


I am always intrigued by stories from Africa. How, amid the heartache and unrest, the determination of the survivors goes beyond anything I can comprehend. This story is raw and real. Based on true events, the author portrays the true hardship and suffering of refugees in South Africa. Deo is a young teen, ripped from his home and forced to flee from one hardship to another. He is given too much responsibility, becoming the only caregiver for his mentally challenged brother. The author uses running to symbolize Deo’s passions, fears, addictions and instincts. The writing style is well informed, blunt and gripping. I give it FOUR stars. I have to add that everything I have read from Little Brown Publishing I have liked.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love a novel that uses good symbolism. I may have to check this one out. Thanks for the recommendation!