Monday, October 17, 2011

National Novel Writing Month

I left a comment over at the Critique Sisters last week, giving some advice about participating in NaNoWriMo.  I thought I would tell you what I said, so those of you who are thinking of participating can see where I stand on the issue.  I am somewhere in between plotting an outline for the whole novel or flying by the seat of my pants. I know my main theme, setting and characters. I know what the trigger is to set actions in motion. Then I write and don't stop. I write whatever comes into my head. If I get stuck I say to myself, "just write something down now." NaNoWriMo isn't about writing the perfect book. It's about getting your word count. Fix it later. I usually edit as I go, which means it takes me years to write a book. If it wasn't for NaNoWriMo, I might not ever finish it.

here's my new author head shot done by Gilmour Photography
So I'm really looking forward to winning again this year.  Of course, I'm supposed to be editing Shifters at the same time, and if I can't do both, NaNo will have to go. Still, I encourage everyone to sign up, do your best, and reap the benefits of obsessive marathon writing.
Concerning the Shakespeare Undead contest I only had ONE person apply.  Quite a change from Banned Books Week.  So congrats to  Deranged Pegasusfor really really wanting a controversial book.  It's yours.

3 comments:

Antje said...

Nice photo! Thanks for your talk on NaNoWriMo. Keeps me reminded to better get my outline done before I dive into all the words.

elisabeth said...

you look like such an author in that picture!

Shakespeare said...

Too bad about the Shakespeare Undead contest--I missed it!

Oh, well.