Monday, December 12, 2011

Book Review: the Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Lately I've been doing some research for my Alternate Parenting Series on BigWorlNetwork.com so I haven't a time to read much fiction.  It doesn't take long for it to pile up.  Every time I work at the library I come home with a couple of books, but life gets in the way and I often return them unread.  It's a blooming shame I know.  Not so with Neil Gaiman.  He gets a priority one spot on my book shelf.  Not just because his writing is so dark and captivating, but it's also light and easy to breeze through in a couple of days.  Dark and Light?  You may think I'm bashing heads with my descriptions, but I'm fully aware of the opposition.  It is another of my favorite Gaiman qualities - inner conflict.
The lone survivor of the mass murder of his family, Nobody is saved and raised by ghosts.  He lives out his entire childhood in a graveyard.  The vast chasm between good and evil provides plenty of bonding moments with Nobody and a nasty, loathing hatred for his enemies.  Over all, it was a breath of fresh air amid my pile of homework.

1 comment:

Lindsey Carmichael said...

I love Neil Gaiman. He's so deliciously twisted and unexpectedly funny at the same time.

You should check out The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly. If you like Gaiman, I think you'd like Connolly too. His writing (never mind stories) is luminous.