Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmasy Blog Hop


I joined this great blog hop.  Unfortunately I have no idea what I'm going to write yet so stay tuned...

OK I got it.

The Christmas Cactus

Up on the dresser, shaded, dormant, sits the Christmas Cactus.  All year it sits.  Accuse her of neglect if you must, the owner doesn't water it.  She was told not to.  Not until November, but she forgets.  Miraculously, it doesn't die. December comes and she remembers, apologizes repeatedly to the plant, washing it, drowning it singing to it, moving it into the sun.  You know what happens next, it blooms a twirling, magenta flower, just in time for Christmas.
We are all guilty of neglecting things.  Things we care for, things we love.  And when December comes we rush out and try to compensate for an entire year without water.  We dump out buckets of it;  baking, decorating, gifts, food, hoping to see our loved ones "bloom", and luckily, they always do.  Just in time.  Just in time for what?  Another year on the dresser? 
She wonders why it stays the same size and never grows.

The end.
  Wow, that turned out more gloomy than I thought it would.  And a bit preachy.  But hey, I only have ten minutes to spare.  I gotta go make supper!  Have a great holiday everyone!

13 comments:

Leigh Covington said...

Hahaha! You're awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with when you get those creative juices flowing!

Sara Bulla said...

I have a Christmas Cactus and you summed it up exactly. It blooms for me each year and I ask it, "Why? When I've totally neglected you?" and then of course I tell it thank you over and over again. :) This was a good reminder for me to go water it!

Trisha said...

Aww, poor little Christmas cactus! I want to hug it!

Angela Cothran said...

This wasn't gloomy...it was deep :) I loved it.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I'd probably kill the cactus. Not gloomy at all. You summed it up very nicely.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

Oops. I think I lost my earlier comment. If this is a repeat you can delete it. I don't think this is gloomy at all. You summed it up very nicely.

Lindsey Carmichael said...

Apparently I've been doing it all wrong. I faithfully watered my catus every darn week, and it grew green and luxurious and huge, but never bloomed. And since I couldn't take it with me when I moved, I passed it on to my Dad. Who forgot to water it for more than a month, and the ridiculous thing burst out with blossoms on every single leaf. Apparently I was smothering it.

As with so many things, balance seems to be the key!

David P. King said...

I agree with Angela. That was deep. Thank you for participating! :)

Leigh Covington said...

I actually think this is quite brilliant and has a wonderful theme. Thanks for participating.

Kelley said...

COngratulations!!!


*New FOllower* :)

Sara Bulla said...

I commented before, but congrats on your win! Beautiful writing! :)

Patricia T. said...

Congratulations I enjoyed your entry. Very different and meaningful.

JennaQuentin said...

Very sweet prickles!!

Congratulations!