Friday, December 14, 2012

Newtown's Tragic Christmas

I live in Canada.  I'm not saying we don't have gun problems, but compared to the US we have a minuscule amount of violent deaths. (550 compared to 13,000)  I can sigh with relief in the knowledge that I can send my kids to school and not worry if they're coming home or not.  I take that back.  I do worry, or course, I'm their mother and the worst thing I could think of would be to lose a child.  Knowing there are insane people possessed by the devil roaming free with the "right to bear arms" scares me beyond words.  If I lived in the States, frankly I would never send my kids to public school.
I think there are a few points of historical significance here.  The first being the constitution.  Why was man given the right to bear arms in the first place? To free themselves from British rule.  To become a free state.  Like a kid gaining independence from their parents.  To defend themselves.  So how did it turn into the right to shoot and kill innocent kids?  The problem lies in the lack of boundaries.  Like a kid leaving home for the first time, out in the world with no one to tell them what to do, many times they "go off the deep end" and break every rule their parents ever game them just because they can.  The leading cause of death among Americans age 15 to 34 is homicide, suicide and (avoidable) accidents.  They willfully rebel against the rules, thinking it is freedom, but really it is chaos.  If 9/10 people in the US own a gun the thing is going to get used sooner or later. (Every year approx. 500 people die from guns accidentally going off. )
The idea that Americans must (still) fight for their freedom is being grossly abused.  It began with a bloody battle that is still going on today.  I'm not history buff, but I'm pretty sure when Canada wanted independence from England we just asked nicely and no one was killed. I think in general this gave us a better relationship with our "parents" and calmed us of our "rebellious tendencies.
According to the saying, "history repeats itself" Some people (especially undiagnosed mentally unstable ones) resort to violence to defend what is rightfully theirs.  Whatever warped sense of entitlement the gunman in Newtown thought he had, he sure screwed up life for a lot of people.  The great American dream seems to continually involve mass shootings.  I'm glad I live in Canada.

Take a look at this article and see how Japan has dealt with gun legislation.

My hear and prayers goes out to those who lost love ones in Newtown.