Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Summer Promos

I am not a publicist.  I am an artist. The trouble is, in order the make sales, I have to be both.  I have seen really amazing art fall by the wayside because the artist could not market their wares.  I have also seen average, boring art make a great profit because of well placed advertising.  Over the last year while trying to promote my book I have realized that consumers don't like to search for the amazing.  They will settle for the boring because it's easy to find.  It comes to them, sometimes it gets shoved in their face.
I remember being at a craft fair and noticing the artist next to us selling pottery.  His work was at best undesirable if not down right ugly, but he was attracting big crowds, calling into the street, talking up a storm about the finest clay and original, one-of-a-kind pieces.  His audience was entranced.  He sold hundreds of dollars worth of his product.
I'm not saying my art or my writing is better, but maybe it's a bit more useful?  I spent the same amount of time creating it as my potter neighbor, but I hate hassling people.  I hate buttering people up.  It feels like I'm tricking them.
So what does that say about consumers?  Are they easily tricked?  I don't think so.  People know what they want and I guess they wanted at the craft fair was mediocre pottery.  Did they get home and say "Why on earth did I buy this". I don't know.
It comes down to thisI have a young adult adventure novel on amazon SHIFTERS, and it is not selling.  When I do signings or other live events I can sell them, but on line is another disconnected story.  How does an author sell books on-line?  I've heard the advice about social media and  marketing your brand, but I'm just not into it.  Don't get me wrong, I love my book and I'm super excited about it, I just don't want to "trick" anyone into buying it.  I don't want them to get home and say "Why on earth?".
I need your help.  If all of my 233 followers sent out a tweet for me I would love you.  If you can add me to your "to be read" list I would love you again. If you write a review on Amazon I would burst with love.  If you leave a comment saying you did these things for me I will enter you in for a draw for one of my famous, hand-crafted, one-of-a-kind art journals.
Don't be tricked.  Search for what you want.  Help me out.

5 comments:

L E Carmichael said...

Balancing the business with the art is not easy at all. I really recommend Kristen Lamb's blog and books - she teaches a method of marketing that takes all the ooginess out of it. I'm still trying to figure out how to fit it to my personality, but it's the first approach I've encountered that didn't make me feel squicky about the whole thing.

Angela Brown said...

Egads I think you tapped into my thoughts.

Halli Lilburn said...

thanks for the comments, send me your addresses via hallililburn@hotmail.com and you will both get a journal.

everspawn said...

If I were to read a book, you know, for pleasure... I would read yours. I just can't do that though. That is not something I ever do. not since the hobbit in 1991. I listen to audiobooks alot though, but they are mostly self help books so I don't think they count really. Anyway it is awesome you are doing something you are passionate about, I admire that. I am interested in a hand made journal though so...

Halli Lilburn said...

Everspawn:
Oh no. please don't let your precious brain deteriorate! I challenge you to read another book, even if it's the Hobbit again. As for the journal, send me your address....