Thursday, January 23, 2014

Homeschooling

What do you do when your child is reluctant to work?
She's not reluctant to learn.  She loves learning, but that's really hard to prove when she won't write anything down.  She likes writing until she has to do an assignment.  She's good at math until she has to answer questions.  She loves doing science experiments as long as she doesn't have to explain it in writing.  She is an auditory learner.  Give her a video camera and she's awesome.  Give her paper and a pen and she cringes like it's mouldy bread.
The good thing is I can cater to her needs and bend the rules to help her out.  Home schooling allows me to shape the curriculum to whatever works for her. But should I? When she wants to make a power point presentation should I force her to write an essay?  Even if it brings her marks down?  Do I leave her to her own devices to develop self-initiative or do I sit by her and help her stay on task?  These are the questions of a home-school parent that plague me every day. (sigh)

6 comments:

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Good luck with your endeavours.

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

Halli Lilburn said...

thanks andrew!

Arielle said...

Interesting question, definitely a problem I bet seen in children who where taught in public school more than straight from home. I do think learning how to write things down is important. You can make the art form of writing fascination (calligraphy or ancient languages, etc). I have a calligraphy set I might be able to come over and play with.

Writing on computers might also solve this. Or does her reticence extend to word processors also? Let me know, I have a tutor computer I would gladly lend you. (I wouldn't share my personal computer with my kids).

Ultimately I do think writing an essay is a functional skill. If she goes to post secondary she will have to write and essay, be it in art school or attaining a science degree.

Has she ever done creative writing? To the end of making writing an enjoyable experience.

Halli Lilburn said...

calligraphy is a great idea, thanks! She is writing a chapter book (she wants to be an author like her mom) but only on her own terms. I can make a few of the novel study assignments focus on her own book. see her blog at thehiddenworld.blogspot.com

haightjess@gmail.com said...

You bring up a great point! I wish I had some wise words to help you. Obviously we all learn better when we can learn in modailities that appeal to us because we will work hard and enjoy the process. Still, essay writing is a part of so many jobs (even authors have to write query letters, blurbs, and other correspondance). At most of the jobs I have had I have had to write and communicate in words.

Hopefully the calligraphy and computer ideas work. Another thought is maybe telling her she has 4 written assignments to complete a month (still much less than in public school). She can decided which assignments she will write and which ones she complete using a different mode (so she still gets choice).

Best of luck!
Jess

Halli Lilburn said...

Jess, I appreciate you suggestions! It's true we can't avoid writing even in this digital age.Ultimately we could win or lose a job depending on if we have neat or messy handwriting.
Thanks!
Halli